Monday, June 9, 2008

Working my ass off

Been a few days since I posted, but that's because I've been busy working my ass off. Literally. Down 4.5 pounds this week, which is a lot, but it will level off in a few weeks. So far, this is my training (how I love saying that!) schedule:

Monday: 1 hour Pilates AM, 1.5 mile walk PM
Tuesday: 1.5 walk AM, 1.5 mile walk PM
Wednesday: 1 hour Pilates AM, 1.5 mile walk PM
Thursday: 1.5 walk AM, 1.5 mile walk PM
Friday: Off Day
Saturday: 1 hour Pilates AM, 1.5 mile walk PM
Sunday: Increasingly longer hikes, 1.5 mile walk PM

Crazy, I know. The walks in the evening are for my daughter to go with me and lose her little bit of baby weight and to get a break from a fussy newborn. I come home from the walk and watch the baby while she showers, then I take a bubble bath and read until bedtime. It's become a nice way to end the evening. The bath helps settle me down after working out and keeps my legs from being sore.

I went on my first hike in, oh, about 2 years on Sunday morning. 6:30 AM found me on the trail. Why so early? Well, it gets pretty hot here in hell the desert in the summer, so you have to go early or possibly die. Someone bites it every year here. And not just newcomers to the inferno! If I had 5 bucks for every person I saw hiking with no water... Anyway, it felt SO great to hike again. 2 miles in 1 hour, which is a good pace for hiking. I felt awesome and it stuck with me for the entire day. How is it that I can walk on the treadmill for 2 miles and hate every minute, but put me on a trail with rocks, dirt and elevation changes and I'm happy as can be? I'm so weird.

Eating was damn good this week, too. In the past I've tracked every single thing that went into my mouth, driving myself crazy in the process. I got way to obsessive about it and if I couldn't figure out every single ingredient in something I felt like I blew it. Stupid, yes, but I have OCD and this makes it worse. So, I'm not journaling my food. I'm eating healthy, nothing to drink but water and milk and NO junk food (chips, the bane of my existence). I want this to be a lifestyle change that I can easily do for the rest of my life and I can't see myself tracking every single thing to hit my mouth until I'm dead. Forget it. Now, if I hit some crazy plateau, I might for a few days to see where I can make adjustments. But after 20 years of dieting (how pathetic is that???), I know what to eat and how much to eat of it. It's doing it that makes it work.

Here's to another week of working my ass off!

After knitting for 6 years and crocheting for 30, I can't wait to make myself my very first sweater. I have the pattern already picked out!

No comments: